Monday, July 31, 2006

Getting back to normal ?

We had a fabulous trip home to Halifax and managed to squeeze quite a bit into four days. I love my hometown, there's just something about the 'fax' that makes me feel centred and ready to deal with anything, do anything, or accomplish anything I want to. I never feel more like 'me' than when I'm home. More than 11 years away from Halifax and it is still 'home,' probably always will be.

It seems that Nate is a pretty terrific traveller, he managed to nap fairly well just about anywhere, enjoy the variety of people and places we threw in front of him, and was pretty great with the crowds of people that were always wanting to hang out with him. He was a perfect lamb on the plane on the way there but was a bit cranky on the way back. I think it all just caught up with the little bubba. Nate's Ginn side grandparents were overjoyed to be spending time with him, and his Chin side grandparents loved talking about all the wonderful things they have discovered about him. Mama just enjoyed the ride for the most part and ate a lot of haddock.

One casaulty of the trip to Halifax has been Nate's sleeping patterns--they are screwed beyond belief. He now won't nap for more than 40 mins at a time, and wakes up every 1-3 hours at night. I know the teething has a lot to do with it, but he seems to want to go to bed at his Halifax time, which is four hours earlier than his Vancouver time. This would be fine except he wants to GET UP at his Halifax time as well (not nice for us, pefectly acceptable to him).

This is the third day back and I still have open suitcases on the floor and laundry to be put away. In the good old pre-Nate days I would have been unpacked an hour after I got home and the house would be freshly cleaned the next day, now I'm lucky to have laundry done two days later and maybe it will get put away this week. I'm not sure whether I should mourn my old efficiency or celebrate my new not-so-compulsiveness.

I am sad about leaving Halifax though. It was too short a visit and I didn't get to hang with my Momma enough. Plus the going home always makes me consider and reconsider and then ponder moving back. I look around and think about all the advantages of raising Nate there, like the house with a yard that we could afford without difficulty, good access to french immersion schools, safer than Vancouver parks, grandparents in the same city, and cousins to play with. I think it would be great to have my folks in the same city. I grew up with my grandmother around and I can't immagine living my life without the closeness we shared. I'm just not sure whether Justin and I are ready to let go Vancouver and it's particular kind of urban living yet.

Nate is growing and developing so fast. He has almost prefected this weird half crawling thing, except he does it backwards! His balance is getting much better when you try to sit him up on his own (he is less likely to fall forward on his big old head), and he is adept at intentionally grabbing things and sometimes adept at manipulating them. I am completely in love with this kid, and watching him figure stuff out blows my mind.

There's a meeting tonight of all the owners in our strata. Instead of going and being frustrated and trying to deal with the crazy guy (every complex has one) and and all the myriad agendas of the owners in our lovely complex (24 units in all) I'm going to sit on my ass and eat chips (or bon bons or cupcakes--you get the idea). I normally go and try to do my best to contribute to the discussions but the past couple of years of listing to the carping and having to deal with the crap and the slowness of getting things done etc. has worn me down. So I say go ahead without me and the sugar shall be mine!

No comments: