Saturday, February 17, 2007

Happy New Year!

It is the year of the boar (or piggy, as I like to call it) so make sure your rice bins are full, avoid sweeping (you'll sweep out all the good luck!), and as with any other holiday, eat lovely food. We didn't get our act together this year for the New Year's dinner as we have in previous years, but there is hope for next year! Nate will get his first red packets tomorrow (I'm sure that it will take a few years to sink in that he gets money and this is a good thing to have). Tomorrow would be a day for visiting relatives with oranges and giving/accepting red packets for the children. Sadly, we don't have any family in town. This causes me some concern. I'm worried that Nate won't appreciate the Chinese part of his heritage, since we don't have Justin's folks close and we don't know any Chinese families here. I mean, I'd like to try, but it's hard for me to instruct Nate in a heritage that isn't mine and that his dad doesn't get particularly excited about. Maybe I worry too much. It's just that Nate has access to two very rich cultural backgrounds and I want to do right by him.

Of course, he won't know nuthin about nuthin just yet, so I guess I've got time to figure it all out.

No comments: