Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Treats treats treats

In a fit of post-pregnancy insanity (I can't stand any of my clothes and I feel like a flabby blimp and I can no longer leave the house and I want to feel pretty again) I went shopping in the states a couple of weekends ago. I blew quite a chunk o' change and bought several tops, a cute skirt, a bunch of non maternity underwear (a big deal) and a pair of seven jeans. I'm loving every minute of my new clothes, but apparently I hadn't scratched that shopping itch enough. Last week I bought myself a much desired pair of Camper shoes. I hadn't even taken the tags off yet as I wasn't sure of my worthiness when my mother-in-law insisted we go back and look some more at the place of my new found obsession. Next thing I know I'm sitting on the bus with another Camper box tucked under my arm.

I need a support group, clearly.

Yesterday Nate turned four months old. His grandma and grandpa were totally over the moon and took a bunch of 'four month birthday' pictures. Being not a bright girl I bitchily pointed out that he would kinda look the same if we took them the day before or after or even two days before and after. I should have just eaten my Campers.

So here are things I have actually said around my conservative very straight-laced Singaporean in-laws who have been forced to accept me even though I have way too many tattoos (is there a spell check on this thing?), dye my hair funy colors and am way way too chubby for my mother-in-law's tastes. They love me--I know--but definetly against their better judgement.

  • "let him have the knife, how else is he supposed to learn how to be a knife thrower in the circus..." (on Nate's possible occupation)
  • "maybe he'll be gay..." (on girls finding Nate a heartbreaker when he grows up)
  • "I mean, I experimented with all kinds of drugs when I was young, and I turned out okay," (on raising a teen)
  • "he doesn't have to be a doctor when he grows up--as long as he's happy" (again occupation)

You see, I just can't help myself. Partly it is an urge to get under their skin. After all, my mother-in-law is fond of saying things like "Is that what you are wearing out? I thought you were going to wear something pretty." Partly it is just me being me.

I do love them.

One month and a half to go.

They are lovely people.

No comments: