Saturday, October 07, 2006

Out on the town

Last night we went to Habit for dinner with Nate. There were a couple of small snafus that made me pretty cranky. They apparently don't believe in high chairs. When I asked about it they told me they were afraid kids in high chairs might get stuff spilled on them, especially if they were positioned at the end of booths. I have to say that this didn't fly with me as I saw a couple of places where a high chair would have fit perfectly well out of harm's way (and they do have actual tables as well). This was kind of dissapointing y'all as I was told that this place (even though it is kind of a 'beautiful people' hang out for the main street hipster crowd) was pretty kid friendly. It might be kid friendly but not so baby friendly, and I'm starting to be able to make the distinction. So I ended up spilling a glass of water in my lap while holding on to Nate while Justin tied his hair up (cause Nate loves to pull on Justin's hair). Eventually they came up with a little booster contraption that had been squirrelled away and forgotten somewhere in the back of the restaurant that worked pretty well.

Nate played with his spoon, tupperware lid, ziploc bag (yep, we are bad parents and gave him his very own ziploc bag) and I bet was better behaved than most of the patrons on any given night. The dinger, y'all, is that the food was nothing to write home about in the end. We had a crispy tofu dish with mushrooms and spinach that was pretty good, orange pomegranate chicken wings which were okay, and a free range chicken corn tortilla dish that pretty much sucked (corn tortilla was cold and stale in some places and mushy in others, chicken was stringy and dry). All in all it didn't really live up to all the hype, and we've had much better food in other, sometimes cheaper and better places like The Bin 941 and 942, Vij's, Rangoli, and Toshi (some of these places are very baby friendly and some haven't been tested yet by us). Anyhow, Justin and I have always been foodies (any kind of food at any price as long as its good), and we will probably raise Nate as a little foodie. This makes baby/kid friendliness pretty important. Most places open at five and give us plenty of opportunity to get there before Nate turns into a pumpkin. I mean it's great to go out for a nice dinner just the two of us, but dinner with all of us is far easier to arrange.

In the end, the staff at Habit tried to be accomodating and were very cheerful and nice (one server had two kids and was very understanding), but the food just didn't cut it. For desert we split a lemon and cardamom creme brulee which was good (silky and nice), with pistachio cookies (mealy and dry). Are we condemned to eat at "family" restaurtants now for the rest of our days? I think not.

Mostly I'm in a pretty damn fine mood today cause The Battlestar Galactica season Premiere is tonight and we've been waiting for it for sooooooo long! Wahoo!

It's going to be a fracking good time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was going to mention that Steve and I are totally into doing some babysitting swapping with you guys. So maybe once a month we'd (and you'd) be able to enjoy a meal out without having to spend most of the time entertaining the munchkin. If I forget to mention it the next time I see you, remind me.