Sunday, July 29, 2007

What shall I be?

Is it weird that I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up? I've been in this weird mood about work the past little while. I'm looking around and sussing things out and asking myself what my future career plans are. Do I want to stick with this government thing? If so, do I want to go into a management stream, try to fit somewhere else or move to a different department alltogether? I have sort of been asking myself these questions as I've been rolling along but they haven't consumed me to this point. Now that I know I don't want to be an academic the PhD has lost a little bit of its usefullness (in terms of finishing it any time soon). I've been so many things in my work life to date; researcher, retail shop clerk, office manager, legal advocate, student, teacher, case manager, facilitator, house cleaner, receptionist, project manager, and even a telemarketer once way way in my past. I've been lucky enough to mostly find interesting work in my life and have enjoyed most of it, but lately I've been wondering what happens when I get bored. It sounds a little weird but when I no longer find things challenging and I stop learning new things I get bored (when I get bored I get cranky). Does this bode well for my future as a person who has like 30 more years in the workforce? I also have the opportunity to take some classes in my current job, but I'd really like them to be as useful as they can be to whatever I want to do next. But I don't know what that is. See where I'm going with this?

Well, I'd better get off to sleep so I can not be late for work tomorrow.

No comments: