Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Nate the great

has taken his first steps.

Actually, he took a couple a while ago but I wanted to make sure that they weren't total flukes before bragging about it. Now he is up to as many as four before he falls on his ass. Personally I believe that he could take more steps if he actually believed he could walk. We think it rocks, but Nate is convinced, I think, that crawling is still the fastest mode of conveying himself from one place to another.

Every night, after Justin gives him a bath, I give Nate a bottle and sing to him before he goes to sleep. I have discovered that I know very few children's songs...or lullabies...or songs I know all the words to. So sometimes I just make them up. Or sometimes they are very innapropriate. Or sometimes while I'm trying to think of something, songs will just pop into my head. Since he was born Justin and I have sung the wagon wheel song from the Old Crow Medicine Show, and Barrett's Privateers, that old Stan Rogers favorite. More recently the list has included:

The hockey night in Canada theme

Rio (Duran Duran)

Hotel California (The Eagles)

General Taylor (folk tune made popular by Great Big Sea)

I Wanna be Sedated (Ramones)

anything I can remember by Sinead O'Connor (how's that for setting the bar high)

Farewell to Nova Scotia

numerous songs by The Cure

He seems to like just about anything if you sing it while rocking him, and it keeps me from getting bored. I do realise though that I will have to try to learn better songs for the future. I have made a start with Raffi, but those songs I only seem to remember when I'm in the middle of a meeting at work, or singing to myself in my cubicle.

Nice one, Tirade.

3 comments:

Kath said...

I laughed so hard reading this. Congratulations on walking AND putting himself to sleep. You deserve that rest. Now just don't blow it by having another kid too soon. Thus, J's dream! The songd you chose speak to that fun silly teenage time. I miss you and am sad I cannot play a role in Nate's life. I want to, b/c you have played and do play a large part in mine. Sap sap sap. Love you, K.

Lauren Bacon said...

Yay, Natester! What a pro... I knew it was only a matter of days, what with his walking around with barely any help last time I saw him. :)

Mama T said...

We have always sung The Boxer to both our kids. It is THE only song Ben can sing from start to finish. It did nothing for Clara and, sheesh, it seems to do nothing for Pippa either. Guess it might be time to switch songs!